Friday, February 21, 2014

The "Reflective" Post

The other day, someone asked me, "So what did you learn in Ghana?" and as weird as this sounds, I couldn't really answer that question. Not because I didn't learn anything, but I really didn't know how to start to answer that question. I learned a lot in Ghana. More than I even can comprehend at this moment. And I as look out the window and rain is falling, I know what a different world I was in a little more than a month ago. I was in a place where I stood out like a sore thumb. I was in a place where I had to bargain for a fair price. I was in a place where I met some of the most amazing people. And that is where I learned. 

Being in Ghana really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I realized that disability in Ghana is not as drastically different as I thought it be in the United States. It is still a slow process. There is still discrimination. There are still people who don't talk about it. I realized that things are not black and white and there are a lot of gray areas. Disability as a culture is very complicated thing, especially when religion is involved. I also developed this complex feeling about helping people. I wanted to help so many people when I was there but that just wouldn't be possible. Where do you draw the line and walk away when so many people need help? The purpose of this class was to think about disability and my own perceptions and it definitely raised more questions than answers. 

I learned that traveling alone can be an experience in itself. I got stuck in Paris on the way there and was severely sick on the way back (I literally went through seven barf bags. And cried because I thought I had Malaria). But I was okay. I actually had time to think about what this experience means. I learned that if you ask questions with a smile and are patient, people will help you. And people will be nice.    

The main thing I will take away from my experience is the friendships. I learned so much from the people in my group and I really admire all of them.  I have always known teachers know how to have a good time, and that was true, even in Ghana. I vowed to be more fearless like Mehir and Liz, and to be as nice as Yulia. I wanted to be reserved like Husan yet the life of the party like Alex. I compared classes with Ethan and Laurie and was envious of Christina’s travel adventures. I will take something from everyone and sincerely hope these friendships I made last. 

I am still processing everything, and I'm sure years from now, this trip will different things. I am so thankful I was able to go and that someone saw something in me on my application. I still cannot believe I was able to have this opportunity and feel very very fortunate. I will cherish this trip and time in my life and will take it me forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment